Friday, July 13, 2012

The Hobbit #1

I hadn't read the Hobbit before, but in anticipation of the upcoming movie adaptation I quickly read it last weekend. Yes. I started it on Saturday night and finished it on Tuesday.


I thought I might start off this first post by mentioning how much more enjoyable the book was because it fit into the framework of Medieval legend and lore I've gained through my study of history - as well as other literature like the Chronicles of Narnia and the Harry Potter books.


Dragons, wizards, treasure, fate, courage... there are a lot of crossing paths between these stories.


As you read, I'd be interested to hear your comments about places where you find similarities with the books I've mentioned as well as others you might have read. Are there certain things we know about dragons? Or wizards? Or courage? Do knowing about them add to or take away from your reading of the Hobbit?


If you've not read other stories that feature these things, please add your thoughts on your first impressions of them.



No comments:

Post a Comment